Tips When Shopping for a New Heating Installation

Are you shopping for a new heating installation for your Elk Grove, CA, home? While most households in the area use furnaces or boilers, there are other options. Consulting an HVAC professional will help you find the best choice for your comfort needs. Read on to learn more about furnaces, boilers and ductless hyper heating systems.


A furnace uses gas, oil or electricity to operate. Furnaces use the fuel source to create hot air before circulating it around your house via a series of ducts. A furnace’s efficiency is measured by its Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE). The AFUE measures how efficiently a furnace can convert the energy from fuel to heat a home in a year. New furnaces must display their AFUE clearly so that consumers can compare the efficiency ratings of different furnaces. An AFUE of 95% means that 95% of the energy in the fuel becomes heat and the other 5% escapes elsewhere.

Pros of Furnaces

  • Relatively inexpensive upfront installation cost.
  • Powerful heating for larger homes.
  • No risk of frozen pipes during the coldest winter nights.

Cons of Furnaces

  • Don’t provide air conditioning capabilities.
  • Risk of carbon monoxide leaks if using a combustion-based furnace.
  • Can waste a lot of energy and money via leaky ductwork.


Boilers operate differently than furnaces. They heat water, providing either hot water or steam for home heating. A boiler can distribute steam via pipes to steam radiators or hot water to baseboard radiators or radiant floor systems. Steam boilers are less energy-efficient than hot water boilers. The efficiency of a boiler is also measured with an AFUE. You should look for an AFUE of 95% or higher when shopping for a new heating system.

Pros of Boilers

  • Require minimal maintenance.
  • Don’t spread dust, dirt and other allergens.
  • Quieter than other heating systems.

Cons of Boilers

  • Higher upfront cost than other heaters.
  • Takes longer to adjust to thermostat changes.
  • Don’t provide air conditioning capabilities.

Ductless Hyper Heating

A heat pump operates by using the warm or cool in one place and transferring it to another. In a ductless mini-split, this transfer happens when the outdoor compressor pumps the refrigerant between it and the indoor air handler. A small hole between the indoor and outdoor units is all a service technician needs to install a ductless system. Today’s ductless mini-splits come in various aesthetic options to match your style preferences.

While older ductless mini-splits didn’t work well in colder temperatures, hyper-heating systems operate at their 100% rated capacity when it’s as cold as 23 degrees. Ductless hyper-heating systems use an inverter-driven compressor that utilizes energy in increments for precise heating. They automatically and instantly respond to changes in the indoor temperature without constantly turning on and off. As a result, they help you save and money.

Pros of Ductless Hyper Heating

  • Up to a 50% reduction in energy use.
  • Offer single- and multi-zone installation options.
  • Provide cooling capabilities in the summer.
  • Don’t require that you pay for ductwork services.
  • Include a washable filter that’s easy to clean.
  • Instant hot start provides you with instant heating.

Cons of Ductless Hyper Heating

  • Can lack cooling power on extremely hot days.
  • Upfront cost can be higher if installing multiple systems.

Do you need help with your next heating installation? We recommend getting started right away. The earlier in the fall, the better. That way, you’ll prepare yourself for the colder winter weather ahead. Contact Elk Grove Plumbing, Drain, Heating & Air to schedule a heating installation consultation today. We look forward to helping you choose the right heater for your household’s comfort demands and installing it correctly, ensuring you save as much energy and money as possible.

Image provided by Thinkstock

You May Also Like

HVAC Thermostat
February 5, 2023

Debunking 4 HVAC Thermostat Myths in Roseville, CA

The HVAC thermostat is an incredible device that helps control the temperatures in your home to ensure a consistent indoor climate. Despite…

Read More…

Repair Furnace
January 25, 2023

Should I Repair or Replace My Furnace?

Do you operate a furnace to heat your Sacramento, CA, home? With annual maintenance, your heating system should last at least a…

Read More…

HVAC Company
January 18, 2023

5 Questions to Ask an HVAC Company in Citrus Heights, CA

Choosing the right HVAC company is an important decision. It can determine the quality of your heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems…

Read More…